Subject: Re: Another tweak needed (Re: HEADS UP: new toolchain info! (now default on i386))
To: Todd Vierling , Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2001 10:49:02
On Friday 28 September 2001  3:43 am, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Geoff Wing wrote:
> : 1) wipe out all your installed include files (but not the dir hierarchy)
>
> You will not be able to do this with DESTDIR=/ (or DESTDIR unset) in the
> new toolchain.  The reason is that you need include files in order to
> compile the host tools using the existing libc and includes.
>
> Solution: don't nuke your includes if you will be building in-place.  Let
> the later "make includes" step overwrite them instead.  I'll note this to
> be documented.

But it only overwrites them if the new include file is newer, in some cases
(don't know of any specifically) the include file from 1.5.x is newer because
it's had pullups from -current.  Hence there's a necessity to wipe the
include files.  Perhaps it should be a new make option.

WIPEINCLUDESDIR - If set to YES after building the tools (which require
headers to match the installed libs)  The build system will wipe the
${DESTDIR}/usr/include dir, run mtree again to setup the dir structure. Then
run make includes.  Only needed/recommended if coming from a release branch
to -current.  If not set the make system will not wipe and mtree the
${DESTDIR}/usr/include dir.

Chris