Subject: Re: Status of AGP with XFree86 4.1.0 DRI?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2001 23:46:47
On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:03:45PM -0700, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> With the addition of the kernel AGP driver, what is the status of the
> DRI support under XFree86 4.1.0?  Is the existing code close to what we need
> or will a NetBSD specific module need to be written?

For the DRI code to work, the kernel modules will need to be ported to
NetBSD. The AGP kernel interface is practically the same, since our
AGP code is based on FreeBSD's.

However, the module source does use things like storing private data
per opened instance of the device. I'm not sure if it really needs to
do that, but if so, then out current device driver interface isn't
really suited for it (it can be done, but it needs a horrible hack).

That's why I asked Jason to dig up his old diffs for passing vnodes
to device entry points, and have been working on that branch.

So.. it'll be easier to port the kernel modules once this branch
has been merged. If people want to port the modules to the 1.5
branch, get in touch with me, and I'll give you some hints on
how to do that.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com