Subject: 1.5X/i386 Linux emulation, X11, and locales
To: None <>
From: Amitai Schlair <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2001 22:12:01
I just set up a new i386 with a build from yesterday's sources, and
encounter the following error when attempting to run Netscape:

/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/navigator-4.78/netscape: error in loading shared
libraries: /mnt/wd0e/usr/X11R6/lib/ undefined symbol:

A similar error ensues when attempting to run a "Hello world" Java class
using Swing:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/pkg/java/jre/lib/i386/ /mnt/wd0e/usr/X11R6/lib/
undefined symbol: __mb_cur_max
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(
        at Method)
        at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(
        at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(
        at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(

I haven't seen this error from any other programs, so I suspect the
problem is somewhere between Linux emulation, X, and locale support. (It
also occurred in the 20010827-1.5X snapshot, FWIW.)

The symbol in question is defined in

How to fix? Suggestions welcome. :-)

- Amitai