Subject: Re: find uses 400MB memory
To: Kazushi Marukawa (Jam) <jam@pobox.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/2001 16:38:05
Kazushi Marukawa wrote:

> Last night, I found my system was very heavy while I was
> getting crc of all files in 80GB file system to check the
> status of backup.  When I checked the system, "find" program
> looked like the reason of the problem.
>
>   $ ps aux
>   USER    PID %CPU %MEM  VSZ   RSS TT STAT STARTED    TIME COMMAND
>   root    6776 11.5  0.2 404852   600 p4 S+    6:16PM  3:16.66 find . -type f -ex

Just a quick observation - notice how it's only 600k resident.  Seems
like classic memory leak.  I wonder if "-ex" allocates some memory
and doesn't free it (either directly or indirectly through a library
routine)?

I'm guessing that just "find . -type f -print" wouldn't use that
much memory, and hence it's not a fts(3) problem per se.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/