Subject: Re: hung console
To: None <>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/2001 02:46:07
On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 15:19:43 -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:

> I killed off X (4.1.0), twm, any lingering xterms, etc., but all
> that's on the screen is a the frozen image from the time of the
> hang.

Just a random idea, have you tried to slogin and then start X again
(yes, under slogin).  I used this trick few times on Solaris/sparc to
get framebuffer back into usable state after X on it crashed - just
start it and exit cleanly and framebuffer is back.  Dunno if it would
work on i386.

SY, Uwe
--                         |       Zu Grunde kommen            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen