Subject: Re: Y2K sort of problem.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2001 15:47:12
[ On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 11:32:19 (-0500), Dave Burgess wrote: ]
> Subject: Y2K sort of problem.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think the epoch time just jumped to a 10
> digit number.  While it doesn't actually make any difference to the
> OS, I just thought I'd remind anyone that uses the epoch counter as
> a string that the old 9 digit assumptions just failed.

Well apparently some software is actually so poorly coded that it did
get caught with its pants down last night....

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 13:08:41 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
To: up@3.am
Cc: nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: Happy Billenium

On Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:02:22 EDT, up@3.am  said:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Lee Watterworth wrote:
>
> > Epoch has rolled to 1 billion seconds since Jan 1, 1970.
>
> hmmm...mebbe this explains why all my pine (4.10) mailboxes arrival
> sorting just got all screwy last night....

I know of at least one website that had issues with this for about 2 hours
last night - search results had a timestamp in them, and were being sorted
alphabetically rather than numerically...

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

--