Subject: Re: IO ridiculously slow during newfs
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2001 16:32:27

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:56:26PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> Now, this is a bad idea --- you might even want to newfs a plain file.

Um... you can't do that, right now, can you?

I mean, word on the street is that lukem's working on a way to do
this, but so far as I know, the only ways to create a file system
within a plain file are to use mkisofs, to do newfs on an mfs
that's a mmap()ed file (or something similar), or to play with vnd,
but in all of these cases you're at least dealing with a pseudo
device whos character version you're welcome to write all over.

Am I confused?

       ~ g r @

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see