Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinCast/TV cards
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2001 10:28:13
On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:51:16AM -0300, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, David Maxwell wrote:
> > 5 is also a special case in Canada. It overlaps with CBC's on-air
> > frequency, and they have strong transmitters nationwide. That's why
> > almost all cable companies in Canada put the 'TV Guide' channel on 5,
> > because they would get complaints about ghost images from the strong
> > on-air signal leaking into the cable (if they put a tv channel with
> > video on 5).
>
> Have you forgotten already? CBC is broadcast on channel 4 in Saint John..

Apologies in advance for prolonging the off-topic part of this thread on
the public list...

Channels on-air and channels on-cable do not match. By that, I mean both
that there's no guarantee that CBC will be on the same channel number
on-air and on-cable - but also that the frequency ranges for channel X
on-air mostly aren't the same as channel X on-cable. That's why your
TV/VCR have a TV/CATV switch - to pick the list of frequencies they'll
tune the channels to.

Many cable companies put CBC on on-cable channel 4 (but not all), but as
far as I'm aware, all on-air CBC transmission is on the frequency that
interferes with on-cable channel 5. Look at the on-cable channel 5, and
you may see a ghost image of CBC - that's not leaking over from on-cable
4-CBC, that's from the on-air CBC.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown