Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinCast/TV cards
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2001 20:37:22
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> 2-6 are at the bottom of the band; 95-99 and 14-22 are between 6 and 7
> (in that order); 7-13 are next and 23-158 go up from there.

This is consistent with what I'm experiencing -- channels 2 is the worst
of all, 3 through 6 are about equally bad, 7 through 13 are a bit better
but still not perfect, and 14 and up is where it starts to get better.

> There's nothing special about 29 and up other than they are certainly
> well above the traditional broadcast TV frequencies (29 starts at
> 253.2625 MHz).

29 was just an example of a channel here that _always_ comes in clearly.

> I'm betting though that the RF front-end on that card is nothing
> spectacular from a design and construction perspective....  There may
> even be incomplete or improper shielding to keep the digital signals and
> their harmonics from interfering and there's certain to be lots of noise
> anyhwere between 25MHz and 250MHz on the inside of any modern PC (and
> probably lots of strong harmonics above that...).

Leaving the TV Tuner card on channel 3, and running the cable TV through
my VCR (using the VCR to choose the channel) doesn't make the lower
channels look nearly as bad. I don't want to leave it setup like this
because the VCR isn't stereo.

Jared