Subject: Re: tape driver behavior
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2001 23:36:27
On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:46:43AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > I've a couple of problems with NetBSD 1.5 and tape drives.
> >
> > "mt status" report the file number and drive status.
> >
> > The driver doesn't return end-of-media to applications.
>
> Try "mt eew".

OK...

> > When running dump, it simply hangs on end-of-media, instead of
> > asking for the next tape.
>
> I don't get that. Still with "mt eew", it asks for a new tape without
> giving a media error first, which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe
> it'll make a difference for you, too.

I really wish BSD dump had a flag like the Linux version specifically
for end-of-media multivolume support.

I assume you just give a huge number of blocks for the tape so you
garantee reaching EOM.

I run dump like this:

dump Bhuf 5000000 0 /dev/nst0 <filesystem>

Under Linux you add the 'a' option and eliminate any size specification.

--
"Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are dangerous in herds."