Subject: Re: Is 'make build' really broke?
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: Ken Cross <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/2001 05:37:44
> >Has *anybody* done a successful make build recently?  If so:
> yes.  from sources cvs updated on august 20, at 3:20pm gmt.  or
> thereabouts.  it took about 20 minutes for the update to complete.

It was around that date I started having problems.  Twice in the last 4 days
I've done complete checkouts to make sure I hadn't screwed something up, so
mine are very recent.

> >  o  What tools are you using (/usr/bin or toolchain or combination)?
> uh...whatever gets built by default on sparc.  i decided to do my
> sparc because that's the most "disposable" of my machines.  if it gets
> burned up doing a build, i can just reinstall or whatever.

I'm on 386 machines, although I've been trying to do it on 3 different ones
with similar results (must be because the same operator is involved  :) ).

> >  o  What are the settings in mk.conf?
> BSDOBJDIR!=echo /usr/obj/${MACHINE}-on-`uname -m`
> TOOLDIR!=echo /usr/src/tools-`uname -m`
> i'm just a little pedantic.  :)

Hmm.  I've been using:

  __TOOLARCH!=uname -m

which are the tools built (unless MKTOOLS=no is set).  Maybe I'll give your
setting a try.

Thanks for the feedback!