Subject: Re: sshd Change: PermitRootLogin = no
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Kevin Sindhu <kevin.sindhu@leviathan.lucifer.at>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/2001 19:35:28
On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 06:46:29PM -0400, Brian Hechinger penned:
> > 	do you really want to change the DEFAULT behavior, or do you happy with
> > 	changing sshd.conf locally?  i don't see your point.  if you believe
> > 	secure shell protocol is secure enough, it should be okay to set
> > 	PermitRootLogin to yes.  if there's any buffer overrun or other
> > 	vulnerability, root privilege will get compromized anyways regardless
> > 	from PermitRootLogin.  what kind of middle ground are you aiming for?
>
> the middle ground of extreme caution.  you see, for me, it would mean that i
> *don't* have to edit sshd.conf since i turn root login off on all my machines.

Um...if you are takeing a vote, I'd say that I would like the option
of root login disabled in Stock NetBSD OpenSSH.(Its the first thing I
do after an install anyway).

My 2 cents

-Kevin
--
The will to win is worthless if you don't get paid for it.
		-- Reggie Jackson