Subject: Re: Bridge support added to NetBSD-current
To: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2001 14:29:35
}On Wednesday, August 22, 2001, at 10:03 AM, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:
}
}> From various messages I've seen, the firmware on the Lucent wavelan/orinoco
}> cards makes the cards unable to pass other MAC addresses.
}
}Hmmmm..  Both Apple's and Lucent's (now Agere's) 802.11 base stations (which
}are just ethernet to 802.11 bridges) use a Lucent WaveLan card for the radio
}interface.  I'm pretty sure the card in the bridge is an ordinary card of the
}sort you could buy separately.
}
}I successfully use a DHCP server (running on a -current Sparc) hanging off
}of the ethernet that is able to dole out IP configurations to notebook
}computers connecting via the wireless network.  Since I give out IP addresses
}based on the requester's MAC address, I have to say that the bridge is
}forwarding the 802.11 packets to my ethernet with the original MAC address
}intact.

Different sources say one of MAC address or source address, but here's
some supporting documentation.

http://delerium.spc.org/pipermail/consumate/2000-September/000208.html
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/pipermail/bridge/2000-December/000074.html
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/163/2001/5/100/5796019/
http://bridge.sourceforge.net/faq.html

The main thrust is that if you want to do bridging of ethernet <-> wireless
without buying access points (like the airport), you need to get a prismII
chipset.  Or buy the firmware upgrade from karlbridge.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu