Subject: Re: Bridge support added to NetBSD-current
To: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2001 11:55:40
On Wednesday, August 22, 2001, at 10:03 AM, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:

> From various messages I've seen, the firmware on the Lucent wavelan/orinoco
> cards makes the cards unable to pass other MAC addresses.

Hmmmm..  Both Apple's and Lucent's (now Agere's) 802.11 base stations (which
are just ethernet to 802.11 bridges) use a Lucent WaveLan card for the radio
interface.  I'm pretty sure the card in the bridge is an ordinary card of the
sort you could buy separately.

I successfully use a DHCP server (running on a -current Sparc) hanging off
of the ethernet that is able to dole out IP configurations to notebook
computers connecting via the wireless network.  Since I give out IP addresses
based on the requester's MAC address, I have to say that the bridge is
forwarding the 802.11 packets to my ethernet with the original MAC address
intact.

- Geoff