Subject: Workstation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mjw@celos.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/2001 13:27:38
I'm about to buy a fast workstation, hopefully to run -current.  I'm
unsure what sort of processor configuration to go for.  Help
appreciated...

- Intel Xeon (P4-version, 1.4GHz and up) ok?  As well as the
  well-known less-per-clock-cycle issue, I've heard sundry horror
  stories about GCC on P4 systems.  Anybody know how NetBSD does?

  The alternative is probably PIII instead; it's administratively
  difficult to get hold of appropriate Athlon systems (*sigh*).

- Single or dual processor?  How is SMP support in -current doing
  these days?

I'm not currently subscribed, so please Cc replies to my address
above.  Thanks.

Mark <><