Subject: ex0: device timeout
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/2001 00:13:19
I'm having trouble setting up NetBSD on a Dell laptop.  The network
interface (a 3com 3c556 MiniPCI combo integrated into the machine) appears
to probe correctly as ex0, but when any attempt to use it results in "ex0:
device timeout".

The NIC in question works fine under Win2000, and appears to respond to
irq 9.

Under NetBSD-current (about 48 hours old), it is probed as ex0 at pci0...
irq 11.  Also, tqphy attaches to it... I was expecting exphy.  (I've tried
removing the other phys from the config; it then fails to attach a phy
at all.)

It would appear that it can send network packets, just fails to receive
any.  Using a netboot kernel and running tcpdump on my DHCP server shows
valid BOOTP requests and responses, but it would appear that the packets
don't get past the network interface.

I've tried different combinations of starting Win2000 then booting back
into NetBSD, cold booting straight into NetBSD and so on, in case the card
was being left in a funny state by Windows, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

David.

PS - The kernel config was based on GENERIC_LAPTOP, and has just had a
couple of things removed, wd*, 'cos I don't want any accidents with my
Win2000 disk and fd* because it hasn't got one.   (I'm booting from a CD.)