Subject: Re: Bridging and ipf
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2001 18:01:25
On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 05:35:53PM -0700, Michael K. Sanders wrote:

> Well, a transparent bridge would not have IP addresses assigned to the

A bridge is pretty much transparent by definition.  In this case what you're
thinking of is "transparent firewall", or "bridging firewall", which normally
means your firewall is bridging at Layer2, but filtering the Layer2 traffic
based on Layer3 rules.

> interfaces in the bridge.  Since you are trying to filter by the interface,
> and not an IP address, I think that qualifies as "transparent filtering",
> someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Do your interfaces have addresses
> assigned?  If not, assign them, and try filtering on that.

Jason could tell us what it will take to do transparent filtering, but we
need to beat on the bridging code for a while also to make sure it is solid.

I should be switching my 802.11 to a bridged network shortly. ;)

-Andrew