Subject: Build breaks because of too many make processes
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/2001 11:41:43
Hello...

I just finished CVS-updating my sources an hour ago and tried to make
build. It will not work. As soon as the build reaches usr.sbin/amd it
starts forking like mad and fails because of too few processes. Here
is a small fragment of the output:

obj ===> ac
obj ===> accton
obj ===> altq
obj ===> altq/libaltq
obj ===> altq/altqd
obj ===> altq/altqstat
obj ===> altq/tbrconfig
obj ===> amd
obj ===> amd/doc
Cannot fork
make: "/usr/cvs.netbsd/src/usr.sbin/amd/libamu/../Makefile.inc" line 10: warning: "cd /usr/cvs.netbsd/src/usr.sbin/amd/libamu/../libamu && make -V .OBJDIR" returned non-zero status
Cannot fork
[... this goes on as long as you want ...]

top shows one make in the state WAIT while lots of other make
processes get started that either show "piperd" or "RUN". I have no
idea, what is going on here. Any ideas?

The architecture is i386, so I assume the new toolchain changes might
have to do something with it. I defined (and created) TOOLDIR and
defined MKTOOLS as suggested. Any data I can provide to solve the
problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Bjoern