Subject: Re: DVD playback?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2001 12:37:22
On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 02:41:27PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> There's no DMCA issue. It's an issue of contributory patent
> infringement. I doubt a judge would agree that the tools you list are
> in the same category as a system that allows one to type "make all
> install" and have patent-infringing software ready-to-go.

You missed my point.  I'm saying don't allow "make all install", force
the person to download the distribution file first, just like with other
things like StarOffice.

It would be better, IMHO, to go through and remove any possibly infringing
packages rather than leaving them in place until threatened by legal action.
That just says you care about the legal threat, not infringing on someone's
patent.

-Andrew