Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1 - rc.conf
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2001 16:27:13
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
> While with the old rc.conf, you just had to change things from NO to YES to
> get things to work, now you have to read the man page and type in all this
> stuff by hand.

Nono. Now, the standard setting are now in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
You only need to put stuff in /etc/rc.conf if you need to override
the defaults. See the shipped /etc/rc.conf as a beginning template,
and /etc/defaults/rc.conf for available stuff.

BTW, though I opposed this /etc/defaults/* thing at first, I found
it really cute. Makes /etc/ merging a bit less painful, as well
as making better distinction between system defaults and local config.
It was really positive change, as well as the rc.d mechanism (thanks Luke!).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!