Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1 - rc.conf
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2001 20:16:39
>I don't understand. Why was nearly everything stripped out of rc.conf from
>1.4.X???
>
>A user installing NetBSD-1.5.X for the first time might get very confused and
>frustrated at trying to figure all this stuff out.
>
>While with the old rc.conf, you just had to change things from NO to YES to
>get things to work, now you have to read the man page and type in all this
>stuff by hand.
>
>How come??

as the new rc.conf says

# Load the defaults in from /etc/defaults/rc.conf (if it's readable).
# These can be overridden below.

you only need to override things you want to change.  this typically
means only turning on services you want.

the upside of this is that your rc.conf is now *yours and yours alone*
and a new defaults file can be added whenever you feel like it.  your
local changes are much more confined in order to make further upgrades
easier and smoother.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|