Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
To: current-users@netbsd.org, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2001 08:42:13
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:44:47AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

 > Yes, the implementation requires root, but the overall design is NOT
 > what forces this to happen. The changes in 3.x to 4.x are NOT what
 > caused the server to have to run as root. When I ran XF 3.x I had to run
 > as root: 4.x hasn't changed this or made it worse.

It's not just a matter of running as root.  What you seem to be missing
is that normally root cannot mmap memory -- you have to explicitly disable
the kernel security level in order for root to be able to do this.

I.e. XF86 requires not just *root*, but requires more permissions than
even root normally has!

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>