Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2001 10:44:47
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:32:47PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:59:55PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>  > I never said anything about trusting the X server, I don't want it
>  > to run setuid root. Nothing about the XF 4.x model forces you to be
>  > insecure. In fact, the model in 4.x is a step toward more abstraction
>
> Yes it does.  It currently assumes that it can map any part of the physical
> address space, and also assumes that it can directly frob I/O spcae.

Yes, the implementation requires root, but the overall design is NOT
what forces this to happen. The changes in 3.x to 4.x are NOT what
caused the server to have to run as root. When I ran XF 3.x I had to run
as root: 4.x hasn't changed this or made it worse.

With a safe kernel interface in place, I see no reason why XF 4.x cannot
take advantage of it.

Anyway, there is more than one project out there working on this kind of
issue. GGI for example is trying to do this and for more than just X.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexistentialist