Subject: boot failure with recent -current on VIA 694X-based mboard
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/2001 23:43:35
I have an MSI dual Socket 370 motherboard which I occasionally boot as
a single CPU NetBSD system. I had been running an old -current build
from around January, and that was working just fine. Today I updated
to running -current as of June 20, and now it locks during boot (while
the green kernel messages are still coming up). The final things I see
on the screen are:

   apm0 at mainbus0: Power Management spec V1.2
   biomask ef45 netmask ef65 ttymask ffe7
   _

I'm running a generic kernel plus the stuff below (which happen to be
useful options on various of my other machines). I do a few cycles of
kernel rebuilds to find the culprit, but if anyone knows and can tell
me, that'd save some time...

(Note that I also tried booting the boot1.fs and boot2.fs from the
1.5V snapshot of May 26, and it freaks out when I insert the 2nd
diskette, saying that it can't find netbsd.gz. I recopied this
diskette twice to make sure it wasn't a disk error, so I'm not sure
what to think at this point)

**************************************

# CardBus bridge support
cbb*		at pci? dev ? function ?
cardslot*	at cbb?

# CardBus bus support
cardbus*	at cardslot?
pcmcia* 	at cardslot?

# CardBus network cards
ex*	at cardbus? dev ? function ?	# 3Com 3C575TX
fxp*	at cardbus? dev ? function ?	# Intel i8255x
tlp*	at cardbus? dev ? function ?	# DECchip 21143

apm0	at mainbus0			# Advanced power management

# LM7[89] and compatible hardware monitors
lm0	at isa?	port 0x290		# other common ports: 0x280, 0x310

# VIA VT82C686A hardware monitor
viapm*	at pci? dev ? function ?
viaenv* at viapm?

# IPSEC options (INET6 is now enabled in GENERIC)
options 	IPSEC		# IP security
options 	IPSEC_ESP	# IP security (encryption part; define w/ IPSEC)
#options 	IPSEC_DEBUG	# debug for IP security

# Need a large message buffer; machine has lots of hardware.
options 	MSGBUFSIZE=32768

# We expect this machine to have a heavy load; increase a few
# VM constants.
options 	NMBCLUSTERS=1024

# for IPv6
pseudo-device	faith		1	# IPv[46] tcp relay translation i/f

options 	TLP_MATCH_21040
options 	TLP_MATCH_21041
options 	TLP_MATCH_21140
options 	TLP_MATCH_21142
options 	DUMMY_NOPS
options 	KMEMSTATS	# kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
options 	GATEWAY		# packet forwarding
options 	PCMCIAVERBOSE	# verbose PCMCIA configuration messages
options 	PNPBIOSVERBOSE	# verbose PnP BIOS messages

options         PCIBIOS                 # PCI BIOS support
options         PCIBIOSVERBOSE          # PCI BIOS verbose info
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI interrupt routing
options         PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP       # fixup PCI bus numbering