Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/2001 23:00:36
> > And actually I don't care for bad output quality on el-cheapo on board
> > soundchips.
>
> I could shove on a soundblaster AWE32 but I'm almost out of slots.

No pun intended. The point is: you probably get quite good quality out
of it, if you play good quality samples (since it seems to support 44k
or 48k). You do not get good quality out of it if playing 8k samples -
but hell, it's 8k samples.

If, on the other hand, some morron should ever decide to build a 8k samples
only hardware, we won't get good quality out of it. But neither would all
those windows games...

So you do not need to overengineer sample rate conversion. Maybe refine
special conversions when needed, but do brute force conversion most of the
time. And I still prefer the conversion in userland...

Martin