Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/2001 19:44:27
Martin Husemann wrote:

> > To do it right you have to do sample rate conversion in software.
> > This is rather expensive to do if you want high quality.
>
> Yeah, but not playing it at all or playing it wrong is no viable solution.

I agree.  The driver is broken, it should not accept setting a rate that
it doesn't support.

> We need a consensus on what to do in this case:
>
>  a) convert (maybe without even telling userland) in the kernel
>  b) tell userland this failed and fix applications to convert themself
>     (or decide to use some other source)

I think we might have to do a in the long run.  Since Windows seem
to do sample rate conversion I suspect we'll find more and more of
the fixed rate cards.  And as machines get faster it will be less of
an overhead.

    -- Lennart