Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Nigel Reed <>
From: Aaron J. Grier <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2001 11:35:32
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:20:03PM -0500, Nigel Reed wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:52:12PM -0400, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > > Yes, it's most likely a bug in the driver for that soundchip (note
> > > the "variable rate ... not supported" message).
> > That means that the HARDWARE doesn't support variable rates.  To do
> > it right you have to do sample rate conversion in software.  This is
> > rather expensive to do if you want high quality.
> I have an 8bit mono .wav file at 8Khz. I don't think quality is an
> issue here, it's just that I don't want it playing back at the speed
> of light rather than the speed of sound. I'm surprised someone hasn't
> come up against this problem before.
> Now, someone mentioned I should send in a fix what? To tell me
> that I can't do it...or to fix the codec?

a couple options, in increasing order of desirability:

* fix the driver -- it's likely your codec does indeed support
  variable rate playback, but NetBSD's driver doesn't know how to
  configure it or use it.
* if indeed your codec does not support variable rate playback, the
  driver should fail on any attempt to change its fixed sample rate,
  rather than play at its fixed rate.

  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |