Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@augustsson.net>
From: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2001 13:20:03
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:52:12PM -0400, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > Yes, it's most likely a bug in the driver for that soundchip (note the
> > "variable rate ... not supported" message).
> That means that the HARDWARE doesn't support variable rates.
> To do it right you have to do sample rate conversion in software.
> This is rather expensive to do if you want high quality.

I have an 8bit mono .wav file at 8Khz. I don't think quality is an
issue here, it's just that I don't want it playing back at the speed
of light rather than the speed of sound. I'm surprised someone hasn't
come up against this problem before.

Now, someone mentioned I should send in a pr...to fix what? To tell me
that I can't do it...or to fix the codec?

Regards
Nigel