Subject: Re: Probably a FAQ, but couldn't find it. -- is there the equivalent
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/2001 14:06:39
Kevin P. Neal suggested a procedure that did work for me for clearing bad
blocks.

The trick is the "fsdb" program.  I was able to determine the inode of
my bad directory, and then I could clear that inode.

When I subsequently "fsck"ed that disk, the zeroed inode was deleted,
lost+found/ was created, and my files (that were in the bad directory)
were placed there.

Also look at bad144(8) and badsect(8).

-Mike

p.s. Do you have the S.M.A.R.T. capability of your HD turned on? If not,
you may want to turn it on.