Subject: Re: Probably a FAQ, but couldn't find it. -- is there the equivalent
To: Brian Buhrow <>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/2001 14:06:39
Kevin P. Neal suggested a procedure that did work for me for clearing bad

The trick is the "fsdb" program.  I was able to determine the inode of
my bad directory, and then I could clear that inode.

When I subsequently "fsck"ed that disk, the zeroed inode was deleted,
lost+found/ was created, and my files (that were in the bad directory)
were placed there.

Also look at bad144(8) and badsect(8).

p.s. Do you have the S.M.A.R.T. capability of your HD turned on? If not,
you may want to turn it on.