Subject: Re: Heavy swapping causes deadlock in uvm_unlock_fpageq
To: Rick Byers <RickB@BigScaryChildren.net>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2001 08:11:24
hi,

most likely what's happening is that you're getting really close to running
out of swap and running into the problems with the out-of-swap detection
in the 1.5-branch code.  top showing 100 MB of swap free doesn't mean much,
since it's entirely possible that a process allocating enough memory to
use up that 100 MB of swap will prevent top from have the memory it needs
to run.

if this is the case then the only thing you can do is use less memory or
add more swap space.  I've been working on some changes to -current for
a while now that will make it so that the system doesn't get stuck
(instead killing a process), but this depends on other stuff that's
only in -current and the sum is too big to backport to 1.5.

-Chuck