Subject: Re: build of -current from today fails on libexec/kpasswdd
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2001 21:35:14
[ On Tuesday, July 3, 2001 at 23:05:14 (+0100), Chris Gilbert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: build of -current from today fails on libexec/kpasswdd
>
> On Tuesday 03 July 2001 12:06 pm, Chris Pinnock wrote:
> DESTDIR must be in the enviroment, there's a script somewhere that needs it
> in the enviroment.  Maybe it only effects make release, as I can't remember
> the exact script.

No, DESTDIR does not have to be in the environment.  As far as I can
tell the only scripts that require it in their environment have their
environments explicitly crafted by the make rules.  For example in
distrib/sets/Makefile:

	checkflist: check_destdir
	        DESTDIR=${DESTDIR} sh ${.CURDIR}/checkflist

Any that don't do that are broken and need fixing (though I don't think
there are any as I've been doing builds for the past two weeks with
narry a problem, at least not in that department :-).

Not only that, but it's best not to set it in the environment lest you
forget it is there and it gets used at the wrong time.  The environment
is a necessary evil best to be avoided where possible, especially in
software configuration management!

Just set it on the 'make' command line, as an option to make, like this:

	make DESTDIR=/altroot build

It works just fine that way.

--
							Greg A. Woods