Subject: Re: i386 laptop failing to resume after suspend
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2001 13:57:06
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Steve Woodford wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2001, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> > I get this on my Compaq Armada 700, but only if X is active on screen
> > when I suspend the machine.  If I change to a text console, I can
> > suspend and resume properly.  At least there's a workaround...  :-)
>
> My Armada 1598 fails to resume on occasion with -current. Fortunately, it
> manages to dump a usable core which savecore(8) restores on reboot. On the
> couple of occasions where I've gone in with gdb, ISTR seeing soft
> interrupt code in the trace...

I tracked down the problem to my ethernet card. I have a PCMCIA NE2000
card in my laptop, and I only have the problems when the card is active.

I setup apmd to bring down the card on suspend and standby, but I'm still
having the problem if I'm running off battery and the hard disk spins down
(it locks when it spins up again).

Jared