Subject: extraneous rebuilds in gnu/lib/libstdc++/io due to unnecessary reinstall of
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2001 12:28:48
I thought I'd do a full clean rebuild on my development system.  I'd
done many "make includes", "make dependall", "make install" runs, and
everything seemed up-to-date.  So, I did a "make cleandir dependall" (as
non-root) and then a "make includes" (which seemed to do nothing,
thankfully!), and next a "make install" which unfortunately triggered a
re-build of all of gnu/lib/libstdc++/io from scratch!

This appears to be because <i386/_G_config.h> was re-installed despite
not having changed (by "make includes"?).  I'm not sure I want to try
messing with this on my own right at the moment, but it looks on first
glance that if gnu/lib/libstdc++/Makefile were fixed to compare the
generated _G_config.h file with the installed one before re-installing
then the rebuild would be avoided.  On first glance though I can't see
why this header is handled any differently than any other.

I also note that due if the tmac files are re-installed after a "make
cleandir" than all of the catman builds (tbl | nroff, etc.) are being
redone too, though courtesy the smart install macro they're not being
re-installed since the generated files are the same as the installed
ones.  I suspect things would go a bit (lot!) faster if the tmac files
were not re-installed unless they had actually changed (just as with .h
files).

--
							Greg A. Woods