Subject: Re: -CURRENT memory management fault - core dumps
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2001 14:31:29
Caffeinate The World wrote:

> i don't think it's libc. i thought that at first too. see my earlier
> outlined upgrade where i'm using the new libc and friends, but stop
> short of 'make build' cause something else isn't right. something
> installing in /usr/libdata/lint.
>
> if you could follow that same set of instructions and then NOT 'make
> build at the end, you'll still have a functioning system with partially
> new libs, etc.

Well, from what I made of your prior description, you installed 1.5.1_BETA2
over your prior system.  Then you followed the prescribed upgrade to -current
path.  Since your unpacking of base.tgz will have linked libc.so and
libc.so.12 to the 1.5.1 based libc.so.62.1 shared library, at what point
did you redo those links back to the -current libc.so.12.76 version?

The "problem" point for me, every time, is following the install and
link adjustment that occurs when the newly built libc.so is installed.

Installing the lint.ln files that correspond/follow the new libc only
uses commands that need libc.so and those go boom.

I'm not saying libc.so is broken, but rather there is something in its
new form that is interacting badly with the kernel and the shared lib
run-time mechanism.