Subject: Re: -CURRENT memory management fault - core dumps
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2001 10:26:21
--- gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:07:46AM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> > do you mean to make the release with floppies and boot from said
> > floppies and do the upgrade? i don't think that would have helped
> in
> > this case when the system has bugs that can't even get pass the
> initial
> > dmesg reports.
>
> Well, actually, I meant do a make release, then go to single user do
> untar the files in ${RELEASEDIR}, then reboot (as you say, to clean
> things out safely). But yeah, same principle.

i actually did this AFTER when i started over again to make sure that
it wasn't my mistake. $DESTDIR is on a different partition than /.
after a "sync; sync; shutdown now" and i was in single user mode. i
proceeded to "pax -rw -pe ..." the new root over the old root...
(mental note, maybe use that separate partition to test boot from first
before copying over would be a better idea). i see no difference
between using pax command above versus "tar --unlink -xzvpf file.tgz".
either way files will get copied over.

i didn't see a need for "make release" because i would end up having to
untar everything again. in this case no one else was going to use the
build i made but myself. so leaving it in $DESTDIR and pax-ing over
saved some time.

> Sounds like this could well be a different problem (I actually
> haven't done a -current build in about two weeks, so I'm not exactly
> qualified to speak on that), but it just feels nearly as chancy to
> do a pax out of ${DESTDIR} on a live system as it does to make
> build without ${DESTDIR} set to me. What you did sure looked like it
> should have worked to me, but, um, it's maybe better to remove all
> chance, no?

from searching the list, i saw that others reported very similar
problems. perhaps it's only on the 64-bit architectures. i've not
tested it out on the i386. speaking of which, how (if possible) do i
build a release for the i386 on the Alpha? i think it would take the
i386 a week (it's old and has IDE) versus the fast Alpha with UW SCSI.