Subject: Re: -CURRENT memory management fault - core dumps
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
From: Caffeinate The World <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2001 10:07:46
--- gabriel rosenkoetter <> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:57:48PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> > i finally was able to succeed in 'make build' to DESTDIR. after
> that
> > was done, i
> >
> >   cd DESTDIR
> >   pax -rw -pe . /
> >
> > the copy process was fine. then i tried some commands and almost
> every
> > thing coredumped. from 'ls' to 'more' etc.
> Hrm.
> Why do this?
> Why not just do a make release and install from those tarballs as
> usual?
> (I find overwriting files on a live system has bitten me more times
> than not...)

do you mean to make the release with floppies and boot from said
floppies and do the upgrade? i don't think that would have helped in
this case when the system has bugs that can't even get pass the initial
dmesg reports.

since before netbsd 1.0, i've done a make build or similar process on a
live system and oddly enough, it has worked out fine. just a reboot
after to make sure things get loaded correctly etc. i think this time
would have gone thru too if there weren't this current problem as
discussed previously.

Do You Yahoo!?