Subject: Re: Caller-ID Modems
To: D. <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2001 16:16:42
[ On , June 27, 2001 at 22:49:26 (+0400), Jared "D." McNeill wrote: ]
> Subject: Caller-ID Modems
>
> Does anybody have any experience with Caller-ID modems? I want to log
> the name, number, and time of all incoming calls (and pop up an xmessage
> on my workstation with this information whenever someone calls).

Yup, but I like my Rochelle 2800 2-line call display unit one heck of a
lot better (at least a lot better than the Motorola 28.8 that I once
used to "log" CID).  I've still not written a proper logging daemon for
it though....

(I'm looking for a replacement for it though that has all the same
features, i.e. at least 2 lines, proper RS-232 computer interface or
better, etc., as well as support for call-waiting CID.  I know it can be
done passively, but I've not yet found any such device with a computer
interface.)

> The modem responds to 'AT+VCID=1' with 'OK', yet when someone calls it
> only says 'RING' for every ring and I don't get any CID information.

Maybe that feature's not enabled in your firmware.  Do you have the
manual and is that how they document enabling CID?

> Btw, the modem reports itself as ISA PnP Id "AEI1240", "ISA PnP 56K X2
> Fax Modem" when in ISA PnP mode, but I have it jumpered in Legacy ISA
> mode.

You don't seem to say exactly what kind of modem it is, but I'll bet
you're S.O.L.  :-(

--
							Greg A. Woods