Subject: INN package
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2001 23:46:41
Is anyone actually using the INN package?

I just tried to install and start it on two separate machines (an
i386 machine running 1.5W and a macppc machine running 1.5) and,
even after creating an empty history file in /var/news/db, running makedbz
to create all the history-related files correctly, and running
news.daily for good measure, all this *before* starting innd, I get
the following via syslog when I run /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/innd start:

Jun 20 23:12:42 uriel innd: SERVER descriptors 1772
Jun 20 23:12:42 uriel innd: SERVER outgoing 1759
Jun 20 23:12:42 uriel innd: SERVER cant dbzinit /var/news/db/history Numerical argument out of domain

The history file itself is still 0-length (as hare history.dir and
history.hash), history.dir looks exactly the same on each system:

grappa:news/db# cat history.dir
dbz 6 750000 14 66
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

uriel:news/db# cat history.dir
dbz 6 750000 14 66
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

After a bit of scrounging, there's some suggestion
(http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/inn-workers/1999/11/msg00298.html)
that this error is the dbz programs' generic "getconfig didn't work"
error... but that doesn't mean much to me.

What's getconfig? Why's the package not work by default or, at
least, offer some documentation about how to *make* it work in a new
install? (tron, you out there?)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net