Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2001 15:44:58
[ On Saturday, June 16, 2001 at 00:51:51 (-0700), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
>
> On Oct 1,  7:16pm, Luke Mewburn wrote:

Somebody's clock is either way out of whack, or John's in a time warp.

> } Modified Files:
> } 	basesrc/etc: rc.shutdown
> } 	basesrc/etc/defaults: rc.conf
> }
> } Log Message:
> } - Implement an optional global watchdog timeout for rc.shutdown, which is
>
>      Thank you.  It's always nice to see requested changes made.  I
> know certain people see no need for this (and will probably consider it
> bad);

It would be very very bad if it were not optional (and off by default).

> but, I've seen too many problems caused by shutdown scripts that
> never exit.

that's because you've not spent enough time studying the actual
mechanisms in NetBSD.

>  The pratical reality is that I consider this to be
> essential if there are going to be shutdown scripts.

Please try to understand how things work in NetBSD specifically and quit
attributing NetBSD with problems from other sytems.

>  It is
> unacceptable for any program to stop the system from shutting down
> cleanly.

Indeed -- just at is it totally unacceptable for the system to prevent
any program from shutting down cleanly.

On NetBSD when a program fails to shutdown the user in control of the
system can investigate the problem and determine the proper course of
action.

--
							Greg A. Woods