Subject: Re: In-kernel pppoe broken
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2001 18:43:15
> pppoectl: SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS): Invalid argument
>
> What's wrong with it?

You did a kernel update, but have not yet updated /usr/sbin/pppoectl.

You need to "make includes" (at least in /usr/src/sys) and then go to
/usr/src/usr.sbin/isdn/ispppcontrol an do "make" and "make install".

Background: the ioctls used to configure ppp interfaces based on
sys/net/if_spppsubr.c use a very badly designed API inherited from FreeBSD.
Everytime struct ifnet or struct ifqueue changes, it breaks binary
compatibility for this ioctl. Since we only started using them for
real with in-tree sources recently, nobody cared to version them until now.

I plan to change this API soon and get rid of this stupid dependencies,
as well as hardcoded length limits for user names and secrets.

Martin