Subject: Re: Pkgsrc for -current only???
To: None <fb@enteract.com, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/2001 07:54:56
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 Fredrick Bruckman wrote

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the current pkgsrc stuff via sup, and I'm having great difficulty
> > in getting it to build things w/out giving me Bus Error - randomly.
>
> Sounds like a hardware problem.
>
> > I'm currently running NetBSD-1.4.2. Does pkgsrc only work well under systems
> > running the -current build tree???
>
> Not at all. Things do certainly break on lesser used systems from time
> to time, but not in the way you describe. The "randomly" part,
> especially, suggests that there's no toolchain bug that applies here.
> Probably wouldn't be any better with 1.5 or current. I'd recommend you
> reseat or rearrange the memory chips, reseat the processor, check that
> the fans work, that sort of thing.
>

> Frederick

One of the reasons I ask is that according to the documentation on
www.netbsd.org, Linux emulation is supported by Suse Linux Libraries - Version
6.4 for NetBSD-1.5 / 1.5.1, and version 6.3 for NetBSD-1.4.2.

The pkgsrc stuff I downloaded all points to the suse_linux-6.4, as if I had
NetBSD-1.5. If I just built the library without looking I would have gotten
6.4 on my NetBSD-1.4.2 system. I don't belive that would've worked.

However, all that being said, your're right about the random thing. I'll
attempt to "re-seat" everything and run some diagnostics on this box.

Anyone know of any wierd issues with 430VX chipset systems???

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com