Subject: Re: Pkgsrc for -current only???
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2001 22:16:33
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:

> I downloaded the current pkgsrc stuff via sup, and I'm having great difficulty
> in getting it to build things w/out giving me Bus Error - randomly.

Sounds like a hardware problem.

> I'm currently running NetBSD-1.4.2. Does pkgsrc only work well under systems
> running the -current build tree???

Not at all. Things do certainly break on lesser used systems from time
to time, but not in the way you describe. The "randomly" part,
especially, suggests that there's no toolchain bug that applies here.
Probably wouldn't be any better with 1.5 or current. I'd recommend you
reseat or rearrange the memory chips, reseat the processor, check that
the fans work, that sort of thing.

Frederick