Subject: Re: latest make in -current broken?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2001 17:49:37
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

: > Also, the recursion invocations sprinkled throughout pkgsrc need to replace
: > the:
: >
: >     ${MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS}
: >
: > (which should be entirely redundant) with:
: >
: >     ${MAKE}
: >
: > (which should automatically propagate the proper flags).
: After looking at pkgsrc yesterday I wasn't able to convince myself
: that that would be correct. adds a bunch of stuff to
: MAKEFLAGS which would not end up being exported - since they were not
: set on the command line.

Um, MAKEFLAGS should always be exported, according to POSIX; it's a
particularly special case.  If it needs to be in a "special variable"
because you're disabling the rest, fine.

The problem people had been seeing is that, say, a "-k" or "-m" was
multiplying rapidly in sub-make recursion because they are also part of
${MAKE}.  "ps" lists were getting *huge*.

Now, if POSIX says that ${MAKE} is *not* supposed to contain these flags,
then pkgsrc is correct, if annoying on the older make(1).... and we need a
fallback mode for that too.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --