Subject: Re: Multiprocessor with NetBSD ?
To: mike stone <bsdusr@yawp.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2001 08:00:34
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:20:37PM -0500, mike stone wrote:

 > > This notwithstanding, if we *don't* attempt SMP, I think we're going
 > > to get completely buried.  I'm intent on picking up a dual-proc or
 > > quad-proc box at some point, and I'd like to be able to use BSD --
 > > NetBSD, specifically -- once I do.
 >
 > *grin*

Grin, indeed... we *do* SMP -- as has been hashed out here, it is symmetric,
there are only a few very special cases where the "boot" processor is treated
differently from the "other" processors, and for the most part, these involve
arbitrary assignments of work (e.g. we make the "boot" processor the one that
makes sure the time-of-day is up-to-date, even though all processors handle
the clock interrupt), where as some deal with the way the hardware likes to
work ("boot" processor spins up the others, and also has to be treated
specially in the halt procedure).

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>