Subject: Re: Re: library dependencies ?
To: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/2001 08:47:34
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Feico Dillema wrote:

> Hmmm, maybe the pkgsrc people could add a `make update-broken-libs' to
> the system that checks for broken lib links of installed pkgs and updates
> these packages?

There's already a target for a particular package -- check-shlibs --
which is run automatically at install time if ${PKG_DEVELOPER} is set.

To my why of thinking, it doesn't make any sense to put something in
pkgsrc/mk for _installed_ packages. What if the installed package no
longer exists in pkgsrc, or never did?

In looking at writing a script to recurse over all the installed files
(obtained with "cat /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS | grep -v '^@'"), I ran
into a big problem. "ldd" on 1.5/i386 only works on NetBSD/ELF
executables. For linux executables, it's not smart enough to look
under /emul/linux. You can use "/emul/linux/usr/bin/ldd" on linux
executables, but there's no command line tool that can distinguish
them from NetBSD executables. It's worse if you have a.out
executables. Even though "file" can distinguish them, the standard
NetBSD installation doesn't install "ldd_aout".

Frederick