Subject: Re: uaudio problem...
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2001 20:00:03
Chris Gilbert wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2001 12:22 am, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > It seems that your device only supports a few sample rates (UAUDIO_DEBUG
> > should be able to tell you what they are).  In particular it doesn't
> > support 8000 which is what opening /dev/audio sets it to.  You should use
> > /dev/sound instead of /dev/audio.
>
> Ahh, that did the trick, doing:
> audioctl -w play=44100,2,16,slinear_le
> and then using /dev/sound works.  (xmms doesn't work, but that's probably
> xmms, madplay is fine though :)

I'm not sure why you need the audioctl, any sane program using the
audio device should set the parameters.

> I also symlinked /dev/audio to /dev/sound, but I'm pondering how safe a thing
> that is :)

It should perfectly safe.  I don't think people do `cat foo >/dev/audio' much these days.

> Of note is that I just plugged them into my arm32 CATS and just they work
> (the same as the i386), the delights of MI drivers 8)

Cool. :-)

> Any suggestions on a volume control for X, I'm currently using mixerctl?
> (This is the first time I've actually had working audio under NetBSD :)

I'm afraid you are mostly stuck with mixerctl when you use USB speakers.
gqmpeg can handle them, though.

    -- Lennart