Subject: Re: WARNING: -current toplevel build process changing!
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2001 20:33:44
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

: Ok, where was this discussed before?

Many times over the past few *years*--since before I became a developer,
even.  This is the first-shot implementation of making the toolchain
harness, and I'm not guaranteeing it to be perfect without some outside
banging on it.

: > To set where these tools are installed, set TOOLDIR in the environment (NOT
: > /etc/mk.conf).  TOOLDIR will default to "src/tools/local" if not explicitly
:
: Why NOT /etc/mk.conf?

Because the top level make needs to work on *vendor* makes, which may not be
bmake, and thus cannot read /etc/mk.conf.  The bootstrap harness builds
bmake from the source tree in use, and needs to put it in TOOLDIR, which has
to be defined *BEFORE* bmake is run.

Now, I can probably put in some kind of hook to try to pry this out of
mk.conf if the native system make is bmake.  I'll look into this.

: Wait a second? I have no way to mount src read only anymore?

No.  Just set TOOLDIR to somewhere outside of src.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/