Subject: Re: Linux on PS1, how'd they do that?!?!
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Brendan Dowling <crypt@mminternet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2001 16:57:27
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:09:25PM -0500, Rob Healey wrote:

> 	Anyone know what chip the PS1 uses? I didn't think it would have
> 	the MMU, let alone the memory and I/O capability, to run anything
> 	*ix in nature. Is there a secret full function serial port on the
> 	PS1 like the Dreamcast has to uses as a console and/or I/O port?

As others have stated, the PSX uses a processor with a MIPS core running
at 33 Mhz.  I don't know if it has an MMU or not.  If it doesn't, there is
the ucLinux port which works without an MMU (but also without virtual memory
and memory protection IIRC).

There IS a serial port that goes to the outside of the PSX.  It is used
for linking two PSX's together for games like Wipeout XL which support
head to head play with two PSX's and two monitors.  The serial port is
almost the same as the Dreamcast's serial port, in that it lacks the
Maxim voltage converter to make it a "real" RS-232 serial port.  So it
requires a dongle adapter just like the Dreamcast serial port.

Brendan Dowling