Subject: Re: vmware on -current
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/2001 11:35:50
   On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:04:37PM +0900, Atsushi Onoe wrote:

    > >    An 1.5 branch kernel is strongly recommended. I have seen some
    > >    problems with -current kernels, like VMware panicing during win2000
    > >    installs, and during heavier disk access under Linux.
    >
    > Though I'm not sure if it is the case, I can run win98 on vmware
    > on -current kernel with following patch.
    > (Vmware paniced on win98 boot without it)

   So, PHOLD()/PRELE() affect, basically, the U-area/kernel stack.  Now,
   it is true that UBC causes processes to be more aggressive swapped out
   (thich needs to be fixed separately), and the PHOLD() would prevent
   that...

   --
	   -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>

I wonder if this sort of thing is related to something I'v seen.....

I'v noticed a problem with vmware on a 1.5.1_BETA machine.  The box will
lock up solid if there is any real swapping going on and vmware is
running.  The lock up will often times be triggered by other attempts to
run other programs.  For example, I would be using a vmware session, and
switch windows to an xterm and type 'su'.  The machine slowly start to
hang, the 'su' would be first, followed by the window manager and then
everything else.  Vmware seems to be fine as long as it never has to be
swapped out.

Another way to trigger it is to run more then one vmware session at a
time.  This rarely ever works for me.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]