Subject: Re: "Soft" make dependencies? Was: make build problem - BIND
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/2001 09:32:49
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo said:

>itojun@iijlab.net writes:
>
>> >dependall ===> usr.sbin/bind/lib
>> >make: don't know how to make bn.c. Stop
>> >*** Error code 2
>>
>> 	are you using UPDATE=1?  i guess you have obsolete obj/.depend.
>> 	run "make cleandir" under usr.sbin/bind and you should be fine.
>
>This happens to me, every now and then.  I've been thinking: would it
>be possible to have two sorts of dependencies in make's graph, adding
>a "soft" one that could optionally be used by default for dependencies
>read in from a .depend file?  The soft ones would mean "if the source
>exists, and is newer than the target, then remake the target".  They
>would succeed (with an optional warning) in cases like this.

This turned out to be a slightly different case. It seems that anoncvs
hadn't updated the Makefile in usr.sbin/bind/lib. the old make file
was:

#       $NetBSD: Makefile,v 1.14 2001/01/28 01:43:26 itojun Exp $

When I moved it out of the way, anoncvs pulled down the new, correct
Makefile.

The files in usr.sbin/bind/lib/CVS all seem to be correct.

This seems to happen now and then.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com